Wednesday, January 29, 2014





Today I managed to stay completely vegan. It was primarily because I allowed someone else to cook for me. Meaning - I ate out.  For lunch I had a compilation of veggies from Market Plate, which left me quite gassy. But then I got hungry soon after, so I needed another meal. I ended up in one of my favorite neighborhoods - Murray Hill - for a South Indian meal.  It was tasty and satisfying, but also left me gassy.  The verdict - vegan food creates a lot of gas. Sigh. Just something I (and those around me) will have to get used to.

Also important to note - it's way easier to commit to veganism if you've got sufficient funds for eating out whenever you feel like it and you're in a metropolis (like New York) where there are numerous places to find vegan fare.  This is absolutely not the case in other cities.  And though I often enjoy a meal out, my goal is to eat at home as much as possible. So the next step is to really go food shopping.

Another accomplishment is that I made my own almond milk!  It's really simple.  You need to soak some raw almonds for 48 hours and then blend them with some fresh water and wring the mixture through a cheese cloth. Voila!  You've got white almond milk that you can use in absolutely anything you would cow's milk without having to disturb a cow.  One more cow can go on vacation.


1 comment:

  1. Hooray for vegan gas! I actually think that's just a transitional phase - when I stick to vegan for a while, my body quickly learns to appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete