Tuesday, January 28, 2014






I would like to make a few disclosures.  I find militant vegans intimidating.  When organizations such as Peta show all those horrific photos of animals being tortured, I sort of tune out.  I know that there are people out there who are truly unaware of these horrific things happening to animals, but when you throw them in everyone's face over and over, it diminishes the effect. So I don't want to become one of those people.  I want to be able to educate without cramming anything down anyone's throat. 

I find that when I speak about the health benefits of being vegan, people are a lot more willing to listen. I think most people don't want to be made to feel guilty for participating in the torture of animals, so they avoid the issue.  But when it comes time to address their health, it becomes a much more easily digestible topic. So I don't mind.

I usually tell people for one reason or another, I don't eat meat because it comes from horrible conditions in factory farms. Can you imagine, eating the meat of an animal that has never fully lived a life, was shot up with hormones, released lots of adrenaline in its bloodstream from being stressed and frightened, and then likely died a pretty uncomfortable death? All that stuff goes into YOUR body. Then people usually listen.  

But it's not a way to manipulate anyone. I truly believe what I say.  Firstly, because it's true. But also because if it weren't for large-scale factory farms, I may not have become vegetarian.  I grew up in Ukraine, where we were lucky to have access to villages that followed the old-fashioned community way of keeping livestock.  Their animals were well cared for, well fed and allowed to roam until they were slaughtered by trained butchers, who did the deed quickly before the animal completely processed what was going on.  Yes, these animals were used by someone for food, but their lives could in no way be compared to what goes on in scary factory farms.  So I only really started to get concerned about meat and where it came from after moving to the U.S.

But I'm glad I did, because something needs to change.  I don't pretend everyone will suddenly stop eating animals or contributing to the demand for them, but some people will. And as long as more people are aware and care about their own health, I have hope.  

No comments:

Post a Comment